Everyday computer user deals with higher response time, unstable system, high memory usage and as time passes system become slower and slower and response time increases which irritates all of us at some point or other. If you are also facing these problems then try Cacheman for once.
Cacheman is a system resource utility which deals with memory cache. A computer uses number of different caches where data stored so that future requests for that data can be served faster. Cacheman improve performance, reaction time and stability of system by tweaking cache settings, managing RAM (Random Access Memory) and by fine tuning number of system settings. There are a lot of good programs available which deals with system memory but one of the best among them is Cacheman which has so many advanced and great features.
It automatically creates a system restore point and backup all system settings in a backup file before first program start which is very helpful feature if user wants to revert all the settings or want to uninstall it on a later date. The installation process is very easy and takes less than 1 minute to complete. The GUI (Graphical User Interface) of Cacheman is very user friendly.
Now let me go through main features of Cacheman:
The GUI of Cacheman has a toolbar on the top which consist of 6 buttons and 9 tabs:
BUTTONS: Functions of each button in detail
1) Auto-Optimize: This option will examine system and user preferred predefined profile and automatically applies best system settings and tweaks in order to improve performance and stability of system. User can only get Advance profiles for optimization if the program is registered.
2) Restart service: This option is useful when a program is not responding. This button has a drop down menu with useful options.
a. On the top of the drop down menu it shows name of the process selected.
b. Restart Service. Restarts selected process.
c. End Process. User can end any background process(needs advance knowledge)
d. Kill Process. User can stop any process by force if process is not responding.
e. Process List.
f. Properties. It shows Properties of selected process.
g. Show Window. It shows window of program selected process belongs to.
h. Open Folder. User can view installed folder of selected process.
i. Rename Title. This option can be used for renaming title of the process (needs advance knowledge).
j. Look up entry on Internet. This is one of the most useful option, user can look-up the selected entry on internet for details.
k. Upload for antivirus check. This option opens virustotal’s website on default browser where user can upload file for scanning.
l. Lower RAM usage. This option gives lower priority to selected process for RAM usage.
m. Select Priority. User can select priority of selected process which lasts till last boot.
n. select priority(sticky). User can select priority of selected process which survive reboot (like set and forget).
3) Defragment HD: This option launches windows default defragmenter. This button also has a drop down menu with links to useful windows default tools and component. It links to:
- Windows Update
- Command Prompt
- Disk Management
- Event Viewer
- Device Manager
- Task Scheduler
- Control Panel
- Clean up!
In addition to this it also has a option Free RAM now! Which is a cacheman’s module.
4) Report: When user click on report button it pops up a window with all the running processes with their memory usage and system information (Operating system, CPU, Display adapter, RAM, Paging file). User can copy all the information on clipboard or can save it as a text file for future reference.
5) Help: User can access Help manual of Cacheman by clicking on Help button on the toolbar.
6) About: About button displays program version , Serial number and translation info. It also include a button which opens Product homepage in default browser on clicking.
TABS: Functions of each tab in detail.
1) Information. On this tab user can see the CPU and RAM usage, Process count, Paging file usage and allocation and list of active processes.
2) Memory Management. On this tab user can enable/disable Cacheman’s control over system memory. And can set importance of programs and can set maximum RAM limit for program that are leaking memory.
3) Dynamic Priority. This feature of Cacheman can lower the priority of any running background process based on user setting so that active on screen program run smoothly. User can also select priority for Full screen applications like games and movies.
4) Sticky Priority. User can set priority of any program once and user setting will survive reboot or program restart(like sticky notes).
5) Cache. Under this tab user can find option for setting File Cache Management. User can select one from three options
- Windows controlled
- Cacheman controlled
- Manual (needs advance knowledge)
In addition to this user can set values for large system Cache, Thumbnail Cache and FireFox (internet browser) Cache settings.(needs advance knowledge)
6) Performance Tweaks. Settings under this tab are for advance user. User can perform tweaks for
- File system
7) Usability Tweaks. Settings under this tab are for advance user. User can perform tweaks for
8 ) Backups. User can use options under this tab to backup/restore system settings and can create a system restore point or can restore it.
9) Options. User can set hotkeys, GUI visualization, can configure the Tray Icon and other settings.
Tray Icons: Cacheman displays five tray icons in windows tray area, user can disable any of them. First icon of cacheman shows Free RAM in megabytes. Second and fourth Icon shows CPU usage of core1 and core2 in graph. Third and fifth Icon shows CPU usage of core1 and core2 in numbers (numeric values).
Conclusion: After using Cacheman for a week I can say it is a must have program for everyone. From Novice to expert every user can use it with ease. For novice and intermediate users it has Auto-optimize option so that they can optimize their system for better stability and response time, and also it has manual optimization for expert users. It is loaded with lots of useful tools and shortcuts to windows default tools for easy access. User can set priorities for each and every process running, it also has option for surviving reboot or program restart for user defined settings which makes it very user friendly. User can free memory by using Free memory now! Option which can be found at the bottom of Defragment HD dropdown menu.
In my opinion Cacheman is better than any other program available which deals with memory because of so many advance and user-friendly features. While using Cacheman User know what he is doing because of simple user interface and instruction for every option. I can see outertech’s professional approach and 15years of experience in Cacheman.
If you didn’t tried Cacheman yet try it once, within first week of use you’ll experience system stability, greater response time and good memory management. I highly recommend it to everyone.
Reviewed by Sahil