The first version of Winrar was released in 1995 and the latest one 4.20 one week ago, on June 14, 2012. This new version has a lot of improvements and fixes (you can find everything about the changes here http://rarlab.com/rarnew.htm). We can say without exaggeration that Winrar is the best compression-decompression program for every day use.
The installation file of Winrar is very small, only about 2MB. The installation process is very fast and easy. It supports more than forty languages-English, French, etc. and has separate installers for 32 and 64bit OS.
The main interface of Winrar is very attractive and comfortable (but if you want to customize its appearance you can additionally download more themes official Winrar site- http://rarlab.com/themes.htm).
The main interface consists of six menu buttons: 1. File, 2. Commands, 3. Tools, 4. Favorites, 5. Options and 6. Help. Besides that below those buttons you can find the special Control buttons for easy manipulating with archives: Add, Extract to, etc.
Winrar has got a lot of great features:
1) It supports many compression formats- RAR, ZIP, CAB(Cabinet File-the format of Microsoft), ARJ(Data compression format developed by Robert Jung), LZH(Data compression format developed by Haruyasu Yoshizaki. At first it was used for other platforms, but later also for Windows operating system), ACE, 7-ZIP, TAR(Tape Archive), GZIP(Data compression format mainly used for UNIX/LINUX operating system), UUE(UUENCODE), BZ2(Data compression format mainly used for UNIX/LINUX operating system), JAR(Java Archive File, the special format for Java applications), ISO and Z(Data compression format mainly used for UNIX/LINUX operating system).
2) Winrar uses 6 different compression methods- Store, Fastest, Fast, Normal, Good and Best.
3) Winrar can split into several parts, you can only choose the size in B, KB or GBs.
4) Winrar can create so called SFX(self -extracting files). This feature is very useful because you can easily open a file on that computer where Winrar is not installed.
5) Winrar can encrypt files with the special algorithm AES. It uses 128-bit encryption method which is very secure.
6) Winrar supports Unicode documents as well as NTFS file system.
7) Winrar can work with very big files. The maximum size is not limited. You can compress-decompress files which exceed billion gigabytes.
8) Winrar can be easily integrated into Windows Explorer for comfortable working with archived files.
9) Winrar supports Command line and multi-core processors.
The constant development of Winrar, its unstoppable improvement has made it the must-have program for every day use. Its simplicity and great features are really very needful and useful for everybody. It is difficult to imagine the modern computers without it.
Filed Under: Giveaways and contests