TipRadar.com - Forums and community

Full Version: Do Facebook notifications crash your webmail or mail client?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In my Orange webmail (IE8, XP), they sure do, and after reading through some bad-tempered discussions, here's why.

They TRACK, not by the obvious method of a GIF beacon, but by trying to load a (invalid) bgsound from this URL:
Guests cannot see links. Registration or Login is required.

Now depending on just what ends up trying to provide sound handling, this can cause a complete freeze.

Solutions:
1. Change browser - most non-IE browsers seem far less crashable by this abuse.
2. Block the offending URL - I tried Guests cannot see links. Registration or Login is required.
in my router URL filter, and it seems to have resolved it except on the entry already tried before (something cached?)

Depressing that Facebook have been repeatedly informed of the problem, and do NOTHING to fix it, and that IE is so easily brought down by this.

Spoke too soon, the url blocking only defused SOME of the crashers, must be another troublesome URL.
Sorry Matth. I hardly ever signin to FB; much less use it for notifications. If I want notifications of changes..I use the Google RSS Reader. Not to mention I don't use IE.

So I am no help at all to you. Sorry.
Thanks for the info Matth. No IE here....
Maybe it's time I changed browsers, but to what?
Firefox? Chrome or Chrome based, Opera
I'm rather tempted by palemoon, an optimized tweak from Firefox, with a release based on the current FF5 - the major thrust of Palemoon is optimizing for modern SSE2 CPUs (which would include the Atom in my netbook) and dropping some features with high overheads and not that common use.
Took someone about 3 months to talk me into trying Firefox. Now I don't even use or miss IE..Firefox does so much more.

But......

Here is one option...Guests cannot see links. Registration or Login is required.
Check out the 1st one...

The Spoon Browser Sandbox allows you to use almost all web browsers without installing on your machine. You can run all popular browsers including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera on your machine directly from the web. (Note: Currently Internet Explorer is removed temporary from the list of this sandbox)

Spoon Browser Sandbox is a free service currently supporting following browsers:

Mozilla Firefox versions:
Firefox 2, Firefox 3, Firefox 3.5, Firefox 3.6, Firefox 4 beta

Internet Explorer versions:
IE6, IE7, IE8

Google Chrome versions:
Chrome, Chrome 5 and Chrome 6 beta

Opera versions:
Opera 9 and Opera 10

Now I have NEVER tried this..but it could be an option for you to think about.

If you do end up using FF..you can count on my help if need be.
I still stay on FF 3 for a long time...
thanks Matth