TipRadar.com - Forums and community

Full Version: computer hangs with windows updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i format my windows 7 computer last night it took half the night & today & windows updates hung about half way throught the updates i started my computer but windows updates kept trying to search for updates & that went on for a long while so i stopped it i have the new version of avast antivirus free on my computer it popped up last night when i was doing the windows updates & said a program was using too much resources but i have no other software running i think avast might be blocking my windows updates bitdefender total security i used months ago did the same thing to windows updates too i uninstalled it and the updates where working good it slowed down my computer a lot too bitdefender did my computer is getting old it makes noises when running almost all the time maybe i would be better using panda antivirus, avira free, avg free worked on my computer too this is why i have not uploaded updated today but i will today guys.
legit windows?Smile
[[/u]align=left][/align]
(07-17-2015, 08:54 AM)trilulilu Wrote: Guests cannot see links. Registration or Login is required.
legit windows?Smile
i have had windows vista, & windows 7 all legit i have never pirated windows i bought both copys

[
align=left][/align][u]
(07-17-2015, 08:54 AM)trilulilu Wrote: Guests cannot see links. Registration or Login is required.
legit windows?Smile
i have had windows vista, & windows 7 all legit i have never pirated windows i bought both copys
the first time update search takes a lot of time.

So try the following:

1. Reboot
2. disable any AV/firewall
3. start windows update and leave it for a few hours
If you have a pre-SP1 disk, then I'd have it hold off auto-update until you can apply the SP1 pre-requisites and then use a downloaded SP1 update in preference.

There is the Update readiness tool mentioned here - Guests cannot see links. Registration or Login is required.

From a forum post - KB2454826, KB2534366, and KB2533552
First one does not ring any bells
Second one, YES, CRITICAL
Third one, also CRITICAL

Alternatively, apply just the pre-requisite updates and the look for KB976932 - the SP1 update and apply it ... no point allowing all the other updates as SP1 will supersede them.

And must turn your AV to "suspend protection" for a SP, you may get away with AV running for other updates.