TipRadar.com - Forums and community

Full Version: Making things work in Win9x
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Win9x series (Win95, Win98, 98SE & WinMe) is even more outdated than XP, but you'd be surprised what can be run.

Critical to improving compatibility, are:
1. Microsoft layer for Unicode (MSLU, or unicows.dll) - since the 9x series only supports ANSI text coding, and the NT based series all support Unicode
Guests cannot see links. Registration or Login is required.

- Download MSLU

2. Kernelex, an open source Kernel extension, is the second piece of the puzzle

It adds a number if newer APIs, allowing some quite recent software to be run in Win98, such as Opera 11 or Firefox (FF3 is apparently 100%, FF4 may have a few issues)

This site also has lots of tips and unofficial updates for Win98

The tools MAY work to allow newer software to be run even on Win95, but there are likely to be more issues, and hardware for Win95 is likely to be marginal even if the software compatibility can be tweaked.

Anyone old enough to remember Windows 3.1, may remember Win32s, the kludge that enabled some 32 bit software to run on 3.1.
Wow, and to think..I just through out Win95 and Win98 back around Christmas time. And, yes, I remember Win32.
Wow nice share Mat.
Matth, you really rocks!
Cool. I used Win98SE up to 2007. Since more and more software didnĀ“t run on the old OS i switched to XP.
I still have a HDD laying around with Win98SE installed.